BHC thanks US troops with cards

By Stephanie Ball
Editor-in-Chief
&
Patrick Doolin

Student Fawad Rahumani uses green and black markers to write a personal message to U.S. troops. He writes: “I’m a Afghan student and I want to thank you guys.”

The All College Service Project Committee at Brookhaven College held an event to thank the troops Feb. 23 in lobby of the Performance Hall. Tables were set up with markers, glue and paper to design cards for military service members. Students and employees were invited to sign their name on a pre-made card or to personalize a greeting.

Carrie Schweitzer, assistant to the president and event volunteer, said the experience was enjoyable with variety of participants. She said the students who participated represented countries from all over the world. “It underscored what a diverse campus we have,” Schweitzer said.

The cards were sent to an organization called A Million Thanks, which distributes the cards to active, reserve and veteran military members.

According to amillionthanks.org, the campaign is a year-round program to show appreciation for the sacrifices, service and dedication of the U.S. Military through letters, emails, cards and prayers.

Student Ralitsa Aleksandrova said she likes spreading love to show her support. “ I appreciate the troops,” Aleksandrova said. “They protect our nation.”

At the close of the event, the committee collected about 70 cards to send. Nelda Contreras, developmental writing instructor and event volunteer, said the committee held an event at a food bank off campus last semester. This semester the committee organized A Million Thanks so it would be accessible to everyone on campus.

“Some people said that they have been wanting to write the troops, but they did not know how to facilitate the process,” Contreras said. “We are excited about the campus support on this project.”

Students and employees who were unable to attend the event can go online to amillionthanks.org for more information.