Denton: party town

By Amy Price
A&E Editor

Denton is a short road trip less than an hour from Dallas. This city is filled with music venues and historical places. Denton is home to the University of North Texas and Texas Woman’s University.

Fry Street and the Denton County Courthouse on the Square are the two areas in Denton where popular dining and entertainment are concentrated.

Fry Street area is adjacent to the University of North Texas and features night-life venues such as Cool Beans, Fry Street Public House Restaurant and Bar, and Kush, a hookah and oxygen bar.

Patrons can enjoy 320 varieties of flavored tobacco and tanks of oxygen underneath the black-lit interior at Kush. Guests are encouraged to write messages on the property with highlighters displayed on the tables.

Kush employee Ryan Warner said the busiest nights are Friday and Saturday. Warner said Kush is filled on lingerie night, the last Saturday of every month. “The oxygen helps people clear up stomach aches as well as headaches,” Warner said.

Mr. Chopsticks is a few blocks away.from Fry Street. According to www.mrchop sticks.com, the restaurant opened in 1985. Mr. Chopsticks serves healthy dishes inspired from the culinary styles of China, India, Thailand, Vietnam and Japan.

Denton Square has a rich history with the 1897 Denton County Courthouse in the center. According to www.denton mainstreet.org acoustic lawn jams are held every Saturday morning outside the courthouse.

Local resident and bar patron Shell Saucedo said she loves bringing her friends from out of town to Denton. “There’s a lot of places to go to and tonight we’re checking out all the bars around town,” Saucedo said. “There’s always something to do.”

Hailey’s is a music venue within walking distance of the square. According www.haleysclub.com, the club host a ’90s night every Tuesday and an ’80s night every Thursday. The theme nights have become a Denton staple. Hailey’s Club won a Best of award from The Dallas Observer for best live music venue in 2004.

Other Denton venues include Dan’s Silverleaf, Rubber Gloves Rehearsal Studios and The Abbey Underground.

According to www.music.unt.edu, the University of North Texas is one of the top music schools in the nation.

The area hosts the Denton Arts and Jazz Festival, Blues Festival and the upcoming music festival, 35 Denton.

The music festival 35 Denton is a four-day event showcasing more than 150 bands. Nationally recognized artists and local bands will perform in participating venues and on stages in Denton Square.

The event will be held from March 8-12. More information on 35 Denton can be found at www.35denton.com