BHC employees recognized, thanked at Emerald Awards

By Nancy Kane Asmus

More than 300 Brookhaven College employees attended the annual Emerald Awards Jan. 27.

The event was held to celebrate Brookhaven employee accomplishments.

More than 164 employees were recognized for achievements and number of years at Brookhaven.

Conversation and laughter filled the Performance Hall foyer as colleagues gathered for coffee and a continental breakfast.

Christie Stone, media distribution circulation assistant, said, “I enjoy seeing everyone in a social situation.”

Dr. Thom Chesney, Brookhaven president, delivered a welcome address, and during the remainder of the awards ceremony, he wore a Cat in the Hat red and white striped hat and oversized bow tie.

“So it is fitting that at today’s Emerald Awards, when we pay tribute to our many multi- talented colleagues, we should find inspiration, fun, silliness and deep meaning in the works of Dr. Seuss,” Chesney said.

A committee led by Chesney and Carrie Schweitzer, assistant to the president, was formed in November to select the show’s theme and develop the program.

Dr. Darise Error, theater professor, author and director of this year’s show, said she was pleased with the result. “Can’t top this one,” Error said.

Catherine Mary Watkins, English professor and winner of the Excellence in Teaching Award for Adjunct Faculty, said the ceremony was extremely rewarding for her because she was acknowledged for her passion to teach.

Chesney announced the 84 longevity recipients in five-year anniversary increments.

The recipients walked across the stage to applause and shout-outs.

Thing One and Thing Two from Cat in the Hat, played by students Victor Godfrey and Chase Livingston, handed out the certificates.

Juanita Zapata Flint, executive dean, said, “I’m milking it,” as she walked slowly across stage.

Ray Attner, business management faculty, received special recognition for his 40 years of service.

Chesney thanked Error and Edna Love, senior administrative assistant, for creating the visual presentation.

“Thank you for making this an entertaining, collegial gathering where we can applaud the fine employees of Brookhaven College,” Chesney said.