Travel tips help adventurous students

By Charlotte Blackburn
Contributing Writer

Frequent travelers pick up helpful ways to save money on vacation. There are a number of simple ways travelers can stretch their travel dollars as far as they can, such as using Megabus instead of taking a flight or talking to locals to find a cheap place to eat.

While some students plan to stay in state, others may think about places they want to visit in other states, or even outside of the country.

The cost of traveling is something most college students do not think about. The costs of transportation, accommodation and food makes one think of how expensive a trip can potentially be, according to Culture Trip.

Experts predict travel prices to rise this year, with airfares expected to go up by 3.5 percent and hotel prices to increase 3.7 percent, according to Forbes.

According to U.S. News & World Report, discount airlines, such as Southwest Airlines and Europe’s RyanAir, offer cheap airline tickets. However, the airlines can add extra charges and fees. American Airlines can include $25 booking fees and charge $100 or more for an overweight bag.

Using travel websites such Expedia, Hotwire and Kayak can help compare different prices for the same flight, according to The New York Times.

However, for those who want to stay in the country, or visit bordering countries for their vacation, taking a bus or train is a great option. According to U.S. News & World Report, a number of companies provide inexpensive and efficient travel services to many major cities throughout the U.S, such as Megabus, Boltbus, RedCoach and Lux Bus America.

Two of the cheapest places to travel out of the country this summer are Italy and Portugal, according to Forbes. The cheapest state to travel to is Utah and it is only a two-hour flight from Texas.

According to Making Sense of Cents, a website whose goal is to earn more, save more and live more, Moab, Utah is a great place to travel to if someone is looking to explore the outdoors, since two national parks are located there.

Nathan Medina, a Brookhaven College student, said, “If I could go anywhere, it would be Rome.”

Finding a hotel or anywhere else to stay when on vacation can be stressful. Locating the perfect room that fits a traveler’s needs can be hard. 

According to SmarterTravel, three of the best hotel search sites to use when looking for a hotel room on a budget are Trivago, Booking and Priceline.

While on vacation, travelers tend to eat out for most of their meals, according to USA Today. Mike Huddleston, a North Lake College professor, said: “Try asking locals where the best place is to grab an affordable bite. Locals will know more places that will give you more bang for your buck.”

One tip for travelers is to take advantage of their hotel. Eating at a hotel that offers a free breakfast, such as Homewood Suites or Hilton Hotel, could save a traveler about $21 per week, according to USA Today.