Brookhaven employee spotlight

Maria Elena Franco, Art Director

Illustration of Rosario Prado
Maria Elena Franco

Rosario Prado

Admissions Specialist, Registration and Admissions

How long have you been at Brookhaven Campus?

Full-time I have been here since 2008. I actually started in 2005 as a part-time student assistant.

What do you enjoy about your job at Brookhaven?

I enjoy finding solutions. Helping students find solutions. I’m very proud I was able to help some people make a better life for themselves.

A person that used to work with me became a teacher and now she’s working for an independent school district. Another one – he cried when we hugged today. He came for his transcript because he’s applying for Plano ISD, so I was excited for him.

The one I have the most contact with, he ended up getting a full-time job here. He started as an ESOL student. He failed his classes the first semester because he couldn’t understand the language and now he is in a department where he is helping the faculty learn how to use our programs. I am very proud of that, just to see students come so far.

Illustration of Samuel Salmeron
Maria Elena Franco

Samuel Salmeron

Facilities Building Ops Tech II, Facilities Management Planning

I’ve been here for 15 years.

I enjoy meeting all the different people. That’s my favorite part of the job. I typically meet new people every day, whether it’s teachers, students or staff. Mostly I enjoy meeting the new teachers, the new students and new coworkers.

I graduated college here in 2017, and the president did something a little special when I was walking across the stage. She ushered everybody on stage to stand up and come forward to greet me and give me a handshake. I was appreciative to know that faculty cares about both students and employees.

Illustration of Martell Williams
Maria Elena Franco

Martell Williams

Program Lead, Veteran and Military Student Services

A little over a year. Maybe 14 months.

The most enjoyable is actually sitting and talking with the veterans.

The biggest thing is really processing their benefits, so there is a lot of self-gratification in this job. It is very rewarding seeing veterans come in, you know, first time students out of the military, trying to get them over to civilian life. Trying to make it the smoothest transition for them, as far as education goes.

Processing their benefits, and just seeing the smile on their faces when their benefits are processed and then they know their school is getting taken care of, and that’s one barrier they can cross over without having to think about.

Illustration of Brittany frazier
Maria Elena Franco

Brittany Frazier

Case Manager, Accessibilities Services

I’ve been here for one year.

What I most enjoy most about my job is I get to come serve an institution that served me so well. For me, it’s all about the students and celebrating their success and also being supportive in their times of need as well.

Coming back from the COVID-19 pandemic, one thing that stuck out for me is just the amount of hope everyone has hope for new beginnings. I was a student here and a student worker. Then when I went off to university, I decided to come back. I want to be here for a long time.

Illustration of Chaz Hafey
Maria Elena Franco

Chaz Hafey

Lab Specialist, Physics

Sixteen and a half years. August 21, 2006.

I enjoy the interaction between me and students because I want to try to encourage them and help them along in their studies. It’s a lot of fun. Just a little bit ago, we had a lab in here of astronomy students. They were learning about the sun – different aspects of its rising and setting in different places and they were discovering things they didn’t understand before. Like the North Pole has one day a year.

I’m also in charge of the astronomy observing sessions the astronomy students have, and that’s a lot of fun. There are students who sometimes have never looked through a telescope at all. They haven’t seen a crater on the moon for themselves, they haven’t seen the rings of Saturn, or the moons of Jupiter. You can actually see all that from right here on campus. We do it weekly for the astronomy students. My love, my passion is astronomy so that’s a good thing. I get to work exactly where I want to be.