Mariachis play at BHC

Tania Kaufmann
Lizeth Dominguez, the band’s instructor, introduces Los Guerros.

On March 6, a small crowd gathered in the Performance Hall lobby at Brookhaven, taking seats to watch a mariachi group perform.

Lizeth Dominguez, a mariachi teacher, introduced the audience to Los Guerreros, a mariachi band from South Grand Prairie High School. The group was the second recital in the lineup for a collection of performances to be played throughout the Spring 2024 semester, presented by and with the cooperation of Brookhaven.

The student performers played various mariachi songs, both popular and classic, including famous pieces by Vicente Fernandez. The impressive performance captured the attention of passing students and staff alike. 

The band comes from an official mariachi program at South Grand Prairie High School, offering three levels of courses, from beginner to intermediate and finally to an advanced varsity course. Los Guerreros have been playing together for almost a year, starting as freshmen and practicing during and after school.

Singer performs.
A lead singer of the band performs a ballad. (Edgar Palacios)

Dominguez said there was a demand for a mariachi program. “There has been demand for it; it used to be a club before, and now other campuses have it,” she said. “It’s been growing across Texas, so a lot of universities are starting to implement mariachi as a program. A recognized ensemble that can earn credits.”

She, among many others, hopes to gather more members and bring attention to this musical program with the goal of launching a program at the college level at Dallas College. 

The mariachi band’s next performance will be held at South Grand Prairie High School for their end-of-year concert in May. The date is to be determined.