Honors student organization in the works

A new Registered Student Organization, will be making its way to Brookhaven Campus in the fall semester. The Honors Student Organization is a recognized student organization at other Dallas College Campuses, including Eastfield and Richland. Recently, students at Brookhaven have collaborated to start their own.

Matthew Sanchez, head of the Dallas College Honors Program, said one of HSO’s main aims is to connect members with fellow like-minded Honors Program leaders through consistent meetings, open study sessions, fun hangouts, engaging events, community service opportunities and more. Sanchez said HSO will also give students the chance to forge meaningful connections with students, staff and faculty.

Sanchez has been working with the Honors Program to establish an HSO at Brookhaven. After seeing there were HSO clubs at almost every other Dallas College campus, he wanted to bring the same opportunities to Brookhaven as well.

He found that during his [cooperation] with the Honors Program, Brookhaven has a much larger population of honors students than people might expect. The lack of an HSO at Brookhaven speaks to the fact that much of the student body has little to no knowledge of the Honors Program and its benefits.

Students may not know that Brookhaven has its own honors student lounge in M129, set up with computers and snacks for any honors student to enjoy. 

Sanchez said: “This is a fantastic chance for students to make new friends during their time here at Dallas College. The club will also serve as a great community and safe space for honors students.”

Sanchez said any student who thinks they may qualify to be in the Honors Program can reach out to him to complete an application. “They can apply the same day and we can fast track their application,” he said. “ Join for the snacks and fun. Stay for the people you meet.”