Dallas College offers help after winter storm

Desiree Gutierrez

Texans line up for food, water and personal protective equipment at Mountain View College provided by the Chris Howell Foundation in collaboration with Dallas College.

Desiree Gutierrez, Managing Editor

In the wake of winter storm Uri, Dallas College is providing students with emergency aid resources.

“If we help students get through emergency situations and meet their basic needs, they have a much better chance of staying enrolled and completing their educational journey,” Dr. Pyeper Wilkins, vice chancellor of workforce and advancement for Dallas College, said in a press release regarding emergency aid on Jan. 27.

Dallas College students enrolled in the spring 2021 semester are eligible to apply for emergency aid using the Edquity app or website. Funds are available to students who have an emergency financial need that interferes with their ability to stay in school.

In order to qualify students must have submitted a 2020-2021 FAFSA application and have a valid student ID. Students can apply once per semester for aid regardless of citizenship status. 

Funds are independent of current financial aid and do not need to be paid back. Additional information can be found on the Dallas College emergency aid website page and the emergency aid FAQ page

Dallas College has partnered with the North Texas Food Bank to provide food to those in need. Mobile food pantry distribution is first come, first serve at designated distribution sites and dates. 

Registration is not required. However, a vehicle is required in order to pick up food. Students and those in need are advised to arrive early. Distribution dates and times can be found on the North Texas Food Bank Mobile Pantry website.

“Food has been a concern,” Cathy Edwards, Dallas College manager of public information, said. “We have also partnered with the Chris Howell Foundation to do bi-weekly food distribution drives.”

The food distribution drives in partnership with the Chris Howell Foundation will be at the Mountain View Campus from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m began March 6. 

Dallas College Connections and Resources program connects students with referrals, resources and case management sources. Resources under the program include emergency grocery cards, rental assistance referrals, child care assistance and many more resources. 

Students can fill out a referral form and view a list of resources included under the program by visiting the Dallas College connections resources website.

The Campus Assessment, Response and Evaluation team is taking referrals for students needing aid for their emotional, psychological and behavioral well-being. The CARE team works with an abundance of off campus resources to aid students in getting the specific aid needed. 

Referrals to the CARE team are confidential and can be filled out on the CARE team website. Faculty and students should file a report with the CARE team if they witness another individual in distress, disturbance or dysregulation.

Free online counseling with professional Dallas College counselors is available to students. Students can schedule a virtual appointment with a counselor by visiting the counseling website or emailing [email protected].

After contact, a member of the Counseling Center will send intake and consent forms, and once the forms are completed, the counseling center will provide a WebEx link for a designated time for a virtual counseling session.  

“Despite the ongoing challenges, even after classes were cancelled earlier this week, our employees continued to serve nearly 1,000 students via the student help phone lines, Blackbord/eCampus sessions and text message responses,” Chancellor Joe May said in an email to Dallas College faculty on Feb. 17.

The Getting Connected Resource Fair will be hosted by Dallas College virtually 2:30 to 5 p.m. on Mar. 10. The event is free and will consist of five half-hour presentations on how Dallas College can help students in need of resources.

Topics will include how to aid students in getting affordable food, rental assistance, legal assistance, health insurance and eviction avoidance. Students can register for the fair by filling out this form.