Meet the Health Center’s new nurse – Marci Stoterau, RN

The Dallas College Brookhaven Campus Health Center, located in S072 has two new nurses. We asked each a few questions about their careers, hobbies and more.

Mykel Hilliard, Multimedia Editor

Q. Why did you decide to pursue a career as a nurse? And how long have you been in nursing?  

As a little girl, I felt compassion for any creature who was hurt or sad, both people and animals, so I was naturally drawn to nursing as a way to help people. I have worked in nursing and public health for over 30 years.

Q. What do you like most about being a nurse? 

I get to meet so many types of people as a nurse and I learn from each person I meet.  Also, I like problem-solving, and every patient is a person with a unique character, history and needs.

Q. How long have you been at Brookhaven? Tell us a little bit about your time as a nurse before coming to Brookhaven?  

I am new at Brookhaven. It has been a great experience being here in the Health Center since December 2021. I transferred here from the Richland Campus Health Center, where I worked from 2019-2021. I have also worked in pediatrics, school nursing, home health, hospice and intensive care.

Q. What are some of the health services offered at Brookhaven in the Health Center?  

Students can just walk in or can make appointments with us via the college website.  

Services we offer include:

First aid and acute care for illness and injuries

Vaccinations

Free health screenings and tests for tuberculosis, pregnancy and HIV.

Over-the-counter or nonprescription medicines

Confidential health counseling and general health information

Q. What else would you like to tell our readers about you? From favorite books or movies to any hobbies, collections or interests? 

I love languages and cultures, and I worked as a missionary nurse in Jordan, Niger and D.R. Congo. As a result, I speak Arabic, French and a little Spanish and especially like talking to international students. I volunteer in an outreach to refugees. I am an animal lover, especially horses.

Q. Where did you go to school for nursing? (Did you start out at Dallas College?

I studied nursing at UT Arlington, and I have a Master’s in Public Health from Hunter College in New York.

Q. What advice would you give our eager Brookhaven nursing students wanting to follow in your footsteps?

Nursing offers so many different paths, accommodating many types of interests and skills. Working in healthcare while studying taught me so much, enriched my studies and helped me do well on the state board exam.

Mostly, my advice is to do what you love and are good at.