Getting to know BHC

By Brittany Vinson

Courier staffer and BHC Career Development Center employee highlights useful resources and services offered in the Students Services Center .

Career Development Center – S065

The Career Development Center is not only available to students but to any individual. The carrer center offers mock interviews, assistance with résu­més and cover letters, and career advising.

Career planning assistant Marilyn Cunningham said, “In my opinion, the ultimate goal of our department is to assist stu­dents and help community mem­bers secure employment and/or internship opportunities.” The Career Development Center also holds events on campus, such as job fairs and  workshops cov­ering career-related skills.

Multicultural Center – S124

In the Multicultural Center, advisers tend to the needs of international students enrolled in classes on campus. Lau said: “The Multicultural Center is committed to the highest standard of performance in all areas of assessment and academic advising that affect students whose first language is not English.”

Tony Luke Thomas, recent Brookhaven College graduate and former international stu­dent, said the Multicultural Center is “the first place an international student goes … Apart from handling all our paperwork details, that’s where we get an academic plan that helps us finish our courses in the right time.” He said that together with providing information on what steps to take to transfer out, are probably the most useful things he found about them. “Over my time at Brookhaven, I got to know two advisers pretty well, and it helps to have that connection.”

Student Support Services – S136, S124

Student Support Services consists of three departments: Veterans Affairs. Disability Support and Counseling Services.

Dr. Rhonda Dalrymple, pro­fessional counselor in Student Support Services said the cen­ter “provides individual personal counseling for concerns such as stress management, depression, anxiety, or academic concerns such as test anxiety, study skills and time management.”

Disability Support Services is located in the same room as the Multicultural Center, S124. It coordinates assistance for stu­dents with disabilities, including registration and test taking.

Additionally, student veter­ans can visit the Veterans Affairs office for help utiliz­ing GI Bill benefits. Veterans Affairs also offers tutoring, VA work studies and holds a col­lege orientation specifically for student veterans.