Brookhaven Go brings fairs to BHC

By Stephon Smith

Brookhaven College and local organizations have teamed up to bring Brookhaven Go, a collective of four student-oriented events, to campus Oct. 11 and 13. The events will include three fairs – a transfer, career and wellness fair – and a drunk driving simulator, according to a campuswide email from John Wells, Brookhaven director of financial aid.

Brookhaven Go will give students and community members the opportunity to find a job as well as learn a few life lessons along the way, Dominica McCarthy, Brookhaven director of career services, said.

The first event will be the Transfer Awareness Fair, held from noon-2:30 p.m. Oct. 11 in S Building lobby.

The Transfer Awareness Fair will be hosted by the advising center. Admission representatives from the University of North Texas, Texas Women’s University, University of Texas at Arlington, Texas A&M and Texas Tech University, among others, will be available to speak to students, staff and faculty about admissions, financial aid and other transfer services, according to the Brookhaven website.

The Career, Reality and Wellness fairs will be held from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 13 in the gym. The fairs will be hosted by the Career Development Center, Health Center and the Office of Student Life.

Adam Clawson, senior career planning specialist, said the Career Fair has had up to 80 employers present in past iterations, but will have 60 this semester.  Clawson said the reduction in employers will allow space to incorporate the Reality Fair by the Credit Union of Dallas.

McCarthy said the Reality Fair will give attendees the opportunity to learn to budget their money. Participants will run through scenarios where they will use the estimated income from their degrees to pay bills and other necessities.

The Wellness Fair, sponsored by the Employee Success Center, will give Brookheaveans the opportunity to learn about health and wellness related topics. Demonstrations and health screenings will be available during the fair.

A drunk driving simulator will be available to attendees from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. the same day in the breezeway between T and U Buildings. The simulator will give students the opportunity to experience the effects of driving under the influence. McCarthy said the Farmers Branch Police Department will be present to offer free vehicle identification number etching to make cars more easily identifiable if stolen.

McCarthy said the goal of Brookhaven Go is to get students more engaged in the events and to provide with the knowledge, information or help they need to make connections that will help them throughout their college experience and beyond.

“Students should come dressed for success since they could potentially leave employed by one of the employers,” McCarthy said.