BHC expands new intramural sports

By Charles Taylor

Brookhaven College has started an intramural flag football league. There are three teams in the league: Team ATB, the Bears and the Outlaws. The league’s first game took place April 12.

“Over the summer, my super- visor talked about bringing an intramural program to cam- pus, because Brookhaven has never had intramural sports,” Dominica McCarthy, Student Program Development Specialist at Brookhaven, said. “Last semester we started off with soccer, and this semester we want to try flag football.”

The recruiting process for players started in February and the teams were formed in March. A draft took place in order to have balanced teams.

Students could sign up for the teams as a single player or as a three-person combination. They filled out a questionnaire to show their knowledge of flag football, such as what experience they have playing the sport.

“When we did soccer last semester, we let students pick their own teams, and one team ended up annihilating every other team,” McCarthy said. “So I wanted to be more equally matched.”

Participating students approached the competition with a serious mentality. Practices were scheduled and teams made sure they were prepared to play together.

Student Kelvin Brock, wide receiver and defensive back for Team ATB, said the teams “work hard, practice hard and go get it.” This mentality paid off for Team ATB.

The season has now reached its pinnacle, and the championship game will be played between Team ATB and the Outlaws.

The winner of the league will receive Brookhaven Intramural Championship T-shirts and a pizza party.

McCarthy is trying to arrange a district battle between the Brookhaven flag football team and the team from El Centro.

There are plans to have another flag football season next spring, and on top of the draft process, to expand the number of teams playing in the league. The goal is to make intramural sports more popular on the campus and increase participation in the leagues.

Students can obtain more information about flag football and other intramural sports by contacting McCarthy at 972- 860-4115 or dMccarthy@dcccd. edu.